Alexus Fay

THE FAY FILE

I am Alexus Fay.

Inspired by all things 80s/90s.Plant & dog momma. You can often find me on a beach or in gardens. I have a passion for design, writing, wellness, & self care.

@alexusfay

Straight Outta Compton'


Hi Luvs,

"You should be here." Khelani's voice pours through my speaker and echo off my bedroom walls. What inspired this post today, was the album "You Should Be Here".
This will be a bit personal.

Ever since I could remember I knew that I wanted to escape my surroundings. There was more to the world than just Compton, Long Beach, East L.A. and Lakewood Mall. There was more to life than to just graduate high school, I've always craved more.



I felt boxed in and trapped. I tried fitting into my neighborhood, the people, that life and it wasn't me. So with my feet hitting the pavement, I ran away from the streets that raised me.
I don't think I've ever really stopped running.


I was a little black girl with red skin, high cheek bones, a bush of hair.
But I was also a girl who liked anime, paranormal movies/ books, Anne Rice, saturday morning cartoons, Jordans, Dickie shorts, B5, Aaliyah. 
I loved learning and writing more than anything else.

But the streets around me didn't know what to do with a girl like me.
Despite having majority of my family wrapped up in the hustle, I could not completely let that consume me.
I think it was then that I started to despise that part of me.



I didn't want to be the black girl from the ghetto. I didn't want nor accept that part of me.
So I ran.
I graduated high school, applied to college, and now I only have a year left.
But last year, I fell apart.

Last year I realized I couldn't keep running away from the streets that raised me, because it was due to the way I was raised and the struggles I had to overcome, that I was able to survive.

So this is to the little Black girls from all hoods and ghetto's,
stop running.
It's okay to not fit in, you're not an outsider. You don't have to hide your books and you can watch cartoons. 

You are from the GHETTO, you are HOOD

but most importantly

you will MAKE IT, you can DO ANYTHING.


Let's support our black children, because no one else will.

MY MANTRA

- Sincerely Fay,

Latest Entries ...